Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Guest Blog by Dennis Banks

In the early morning hours of Dec 7, 2009...

Deep in the woodlands of the Anishinabe Territories in northern Minnesota, off a rural road headed to Sugar Point on Leech Lake.

As I turned onto Hwy 73, the Sugar Point Rd, I started to get sleepy. Usually I just pull over and sleep a few minutes, then refreshed, I continue driving. But because I only had 8 miles to go I decided I could make it all the way home. A few miles later I knew sleep was overtaking me so I rolled the window down and felt the chilly 11 degree air hitting my face, I could make it now I thought.

As I struggled to keep myself awake, I thought of the drum presentation I had to do for Kevin Catch the Hawk at the tribal college, what routines should I teach them. Then I thought of my home and the preparations that needed to be made for Chika's welcoming; daughter Tosh coming home; and Minoh, my youngest, coming in from Kentucky for the holidays. These were the thoughts on my mind. I closed my eyes for 2-3 seconds, but quickly opened them wide, then closed them again.

On the third time closing my eyes, it felt so good to close them, I let them stay closed, then BAM! I woke up as the van hit an approach. Instantly, my back was hurting, then the van landed straight down on its nose. Another crash then I saw the tree sapplings moving down in front of the van, then everything stopped. I was hurting. Badly. I opened the door and stepped out of the van - "AAAHHHH!!!" I screamed, more pain. I collapsed as soon as my feet hit the ground. Desperately I stood up, took a few steps, stooping over every few feet to breathe, then finally falling to the ground where I crawled, dragging myself to the road. Once on the roadside, exhausted from pain and cold, I fell on top of a snow bank. I was suffering from a deep pain.

I lay for a couple of minutes then realized my cell phone was in my jacket pocket. First I dialed my daughter Darla, I left her a message where I was yelling that I was in an accident and described where I crashed. Then I went down the line calling 3 of my other children: Tiopa, Red Elk and Tosh - nobody answered their cell phones.

Finally I thought, "ohhhhh.... HELLO? I could call 9.1.1." so I did. I detailed my location to the Cass County Sheriff dispatch officer. At this point, I had been lying in the snow bank for about 40 minutes. I saw a car approaching, so I began to wave, wondering if they would see me, I was wearing black and would be not be so visible in the dark night.

As the car passed by me, I saw the brake lights come on, then the car turned around. It was my daughter Darla and her boyfriend George. Darla was yelling through her tears,"DAD! DAD! CAN YOU HEAR ME?!" All I could mutter was, "I'm cold Dar." She searched her car and my now-wrecked van to find all she could to cover me, then she lay next to me to transfer her body heat to my frozen bones. The ambulance showed up another 20 minutes later and took me to the Bemidji Hospital.

I was reminded through this experience that my children who live here and live far away, drop everything to be by my side in the hospital. Their responses and reactions are a reflection of that special love between a father and his children.

There is going to be a Chi Miigwetch/Wopila ceremony at my house on Sunday, December 27. It is appropriate to have a ceremony giving thanks to Creator for taking care of me through these last several months through my heart attack, diabetes and now car accident. I know the value of life and I know how precious it is. I owe my children the opportunity to visit and see me until I am called by the Creator from the oldest age possible. I accept the changing tide of time. I am a senior. I am an elder. And I respect the time I have left.

When Creator calls me to the Spirit World, I will be ready and I hope to crossover with grace, not by an act of foolishness, such as a car accident.

I wish to thank the 911 dispatcher at Cass County Sheriff's office, the First Responder, the Ambulance crew, Verizon Wireless (for having cellular service in a rural area). I thank my daughter Darla and her boyfriend George, who happened to be driving by, without whom I might have developed hypothermia.

For me, there are still more miles to walk, more ways to seek justice, and to continue our path for the 7th generations. That is our past. That is our future.

10 comments:

  1. Im so glad you are ok. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very happy you're still with us Mr. Banks! My prayers are with you for a full and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dennis....I am so glad you are ok....I really am....its not your time my friend....I reposted this blog, thank you!Thank you Creator for looking out for him! If you want to call into my radio show sometime, let me know! OK? We are going to be mentioning some things, events, outreach going on this winter in SD....and I know many people will want to know you are ok! Happy Holidays to you & your family....Robin and family from the Swinomish Rez~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers to you Dennis and your relatives in this difficult time. Big thanks to people and spirits who care for us especially in the moments of our weakness. And Happy Holidays to you all there on the snowy Turtle Island! Marek from Poland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you made out okay Uncle Dennis. I've been there myself many times -- dozing off at the wheel late at night.

    I'm a D-Q Alum and heard you speak once back in '95. Remember Lehman Brightman? He had a lot of very funny and interesting war stories of you guys.

    Hope you have a great ceremony. Get well, and stay healthy for many more!


    Jose
    Salinas, California
    Ixachitlan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Tashina and Dennis for bringing me this story, and for the reminder of how certain truths, like love and family (and car accidents) are shared the world over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am Navajo, Mdewakanton and Wahpeton and I live in Myrtle Beach South Carolina( my dad was in the military and we were stationed at Myrtle Beach AFB in 1966 my father grew up on the Navajo Rez w/his Navajo mother and Mdewakanton and Wahpeton father.) As I was standing in line at the post office today picking up a package I got a call from Leon Locklear at the the Tuscarora Nation in North Carolina and he was very worried about you. He said one of their elders called him and said you had been in a car accident and could I find out if you were o.k. I am not internet savy and I called my husband and he found this blog. I told Leon you were fine and he sends his prayers. And he would like to hear from you...please call him his health is not that good. As for me the Creator has as always blessed you. Take care my friend, you have alot of work to do and you will be with us for a very long time.

    Beth Robertson

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm from Poland, white but my heart is red. My english is not good. I'm moved with this story and I will pray for You. Yours love to children and yours children to you is beautiful. I wish You, and Yours Family health and love. Albert, KholaWambleeska on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  9. My name is Mark Joseph Sark and I am a Mi’gmaq Indian currently living on the Listuguj First Nation. Listuguj is an Indian reserve located in what is now called the province of Quebec, Canada about an hour and half from the state of Maine. I write this morning to tell you that I had the opportunity to listen to Dennis Banks when I was teenager while attending Job Corp training on the Flat Head reservation near Missoula, Montana. This was many years ago as I am now 46 years old. But I still remember his visit that afternoon back in the late 70’s. I remember his story vividly as he was talking about his experiences living in Cleveland, Ohio and wondering about what was more important a new color television or helping his people. I am happy to read that he is still assisting First Nation people.

    I am also happy to hear that he is okay and still has much to teach. His experience about falling asleep at the wheel being one of those lessons which we can all learn something. Dennis I know that you have been told countless times of the good things you did and are doing. Until recently I was having a difficult time deciding what it is that the Creator wanted me to do. Only recently, and only after my ears and heart where ready, did I begin to understand my role and what I am here on earth for.

    In reading your blog entry this morning it reminded me once again that I am on the right track and that people like you have helped me whether they realize it or not. Thanks, Dennis for giving that talk so many years ago in the “Big Sky Country.” Your words did not fall on deaf ears. In fact they are resonating through as I continue to assist my people by my doing my part in my community and Mi’gmaq nation. Take care and keep your eyes open the next time your driving.

    Wela’lien Nitap

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you were ok! I also live on Sugar Point, and I make that drive from MPLS every weekend. I always start falling asleep driving down 73 to Sugar Point at night. I don't know why that stretch of road makes me black out. Glad you were OK..
    Don Kehne

    ReplyDelete